Monday, June 18, 2007

How did she become so much smarter than I...

Last week was just a crazy week in my life. It was the week after a vacation week, so it started off behind. I was behind in the yardwork, behind at work and in life in general. It was my wedding anniversary, it was vacation bible school, and it was very busy at work. It took me the entire week to catch up. I am not sure I have fully brought myself back to where I was before vacation.

I can be honest and tell you that it was not the greatest week of my life for the most part. On Thursday, things started looking up when we went to Vacation Bible School to pick up Maddie and Caroline. When we got there, there was a football game going on between some of the adults, so I jumped in to help. After the younger kids rolled out of the church as we were headed to the car, my daughter Maddie says, "Dad, I asked Jesus into my heart tonight!". I was shocked. All I could do was giver her a hug and tell her I loved her. I must admit that I was skeptical. I hate admitting that fact. But, I took a deep breath and allowed the truth of this news sink in deep before I started questioning. I looked at Maddie and she looked so grown up to me at that moment. But, I still had lots of questions. Did she understand what she was saying? Does she understand the decision she claims to have made? She is 9 years old. How can a 9 year old understand the magnitude of this decision?

Later that night, I tucked Maddie into bed. We talked about how it happened. What was said? Who was there? Why she felt like she needed to make this decision now? Maddie had an answer fo reverything. I am not sure I have ever been more proud of her in my life. How did she become so much smarter than I? I was almost 30 years old before I understood enough to make a decision. Maddie is nine! It was obvious that she understood the magnitude of her decision. She was exctied. She knew the responsibility. She is awesome.

I was upset that I was not there. I was dissapointed that I did not get to be the one to reap the harvest. How selfish am I? As soon as the thought crossed my mind, I remembered that sometimes we plant seeds, sometimes we just get to water the seed, but we don't always get to harvest the crop. My prayer is that some of my water is what put Maddie on this path to make the most important decision in her entire life. I am blessed by realizing that fact.

My prayer for Maddie is that she continues to grow in Christ. That she realizes that there will be things along the road that get in our way. We will make mistakes, make bad decisions, and completly mess up. Through all of that, God still loves us so much that He accepts the truth about our sinful nature. He loves us so much that He just loves us in spite of our faults. I pray that Maddie takes her decision and never fails to shine for Christ. Never be ashamed of your decision, always be prepared to share your hope with others. Always show Christ's love with your actions, with your life. Always share with compassion, because Jesus has compassion for us.

"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect," 1Peter 3:15 NIV

One of my previous posts, I said I was lost. It is amazing how God answered that prayer. Maddie found Christ. I am no longer lost.

No comments: